09 December 2017

Montrésor (nº 17)

In my archives I recently found this photo from the year 2000, the first time I ever saw the town of Montrésor and its château. We were driving from Loches over towards Burgundy, and we had a memorable lunch in Valençay that day — for the atmosphere as much as the food. I had lived in Paris and Normandy years earlier.


We had rented a nice Renault station wagon [pictured below] for a couple of weeks. We spent the first week in the Loire Valley, based in Vouvray, just exploring, taking photos, eating, and drinking the local wines. I had driven through the Loire Valley three for four times in my life but I hadn't ever spent more that 24 hours here.


During that week in October 2000, I was just starting to realize how many small, off-the-beaten-track châteaux and churches dotted the Loire Valley countryside. I really enjoyed talking and listening to people speak French, because the Loire Valley accent and usage are the international standard for spoken French. I knew I wanted to come back one day. What I didn't know wwas that we'd be living here starting in 2003.

8 comments:

  1. What a difference three years makes (2000-2003). And how interesting that Loire French is considered the standard accent. Much like BBC English I guess?

    We certainly have a wide variety of accents in the States.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There's that famous Midwestern American English. France has a lot of regional accents and dialects too. Paris, le Midi, le Nord, etc.

      Delete
  2. "Non, je ne regrette rien", so to say!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And, it has been just the right fit for you!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to believe it's been 15 years since we found this place and this house.

      Delete
    2. I think your question tag should be "dutnit?" not "innit?" which means "isn't it?" "Dutnit?" means "doesn't it?"

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?