25 September 2016

Making a pumpkin cake

Sometimes I do some baking — cakes, cookies, or breads, mostly — but Walt is the expert when it comes to pie doughs and tarts. Anyway, we are trying to use up things we have in the freezer to make room for things we plan to put into the freezer over the next month or two. Pumpkin, for example.


There was a cup of frozen pumpkin pulp in the upstairs freezer that I had my eye on. I thought I'd make a pumpkin cake. Instead of using our standard recipe (which is good) I decided to look for a new one — a batter using yogurt rather than oil or butter — on the internet. I found a good one which is funny because it's a translation of an American recipe. The woman who posted it on her blog translated it but she didn't convert the measures from American to metric. She must have sets of American measuring cups and measuring spoons. Here it is.

Gâteau au yaourt et au potiron

¾ de tasse de sucre brun
2 œufs
1 tasse de purée de potiron
3 c. à soupe d’huile
½ tasse de yaourt nature
1¾ tasses de farine
1 sachet de levure
1 c. à café de cannelle
½ c. à café de muscade moulue
½ c. à café de bicarbonate de soude
½ c. à café de sel

Préchauffer le four à 180°C.

Mélanger les oeufs et le sucre jusqu’à ce que le mélange blanchisse. Ajouter la purée de potiron,
l’huile, et le yaourt. Mélanger. Le mélange doit être homogène.

Dans un autre saladier, mélanger la farine, les épices (cannelle & muscade), le bicarbonate de
soude, et le sel.

Verser les ingrédients secs sur les ingrédients liquides et mélanger doucement jusqu’à ce que le
mélange soit homogène. Ne pas trop mélanger.

Verser dans un moule à gâteau beurré et fariné (si le moule n’est pas en silicone). Enfourner 50
minutes. Vérifier la cuisson à l’aide de la pointe d’un couteau. Si elle est sèche, le gâteau est cuit.
Sinon prolonger la cuisson d’une dizaine de minutes et vérifier à nouveau. Laisser le gâteau
refroidir 15 minutes avant de démouler sur un joli plat.

Some details: a c. à soupe is a tablespoon and a c. à café is a teaspoon — the c. stands for cuillère (spoon). If you're not American, you need to know that a standard U.S. cup is 8 fluid ounces and a U.S. pint is 16 fl. oz. (not 20 as in England.) If you want the recipe in English, let me know in a comment. By the way, I made the cake with farine semi-complète, which is probably the equivalent of 50% all-purpose flour and 50% whole-wheat flour. It occurs to me that it might be the French version of what we call bread flour. The glaze on the cake is cream cheese, confectioner's sugar, and a tablespoon of Triple Sec for flavor.

31 comments:

  1. That looks like a very interesting recipe, did it taste as good as it looks?
    The recipe I usually use for pumpkin cake uses Libby's tinned pumpkin purée, as we don't have any fresh ones, and that's good too:
    http://deliciousdeliciousdelicious.blogspot.co.uk/2012_09_01_archive.html
    Good tip about the flour, I have been avoiding recipes that use wholemeal flour as I didn't know what to look for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Walt and I always put in less cinnamon and nutmeg than recipes for spice cakes, tarts, etc., call for, because the spices are overwhelming. You can't taste the other ingredients (pumpkin, apple, etc.). I like the cake made with the farine semi-complète. And I like having more yogurt than vegetable oil or melted butter in the batter.

      Delete
    2. In the States they have what I call Cinnamon Pie, they put apples for body!i

      Delete
  2. hi Ken, the cake looks delicious - in the past I have used a website where you can search by ingredients for recipes, it's www.cuistot.org. If you choose potiron and yaourt and dessert, it comes up with a couple of pumpkin muffin recipes (one using chestnut flour) and a tart, but you can search for all types of recipes. It's a useful site if you have ingredients and are looking to try something different.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that link. The site is useful but the interface is a little funny. Anyway, once I realized that you can put only one ingredient in each of those huge text boxes, it worked. I'm sure I'll be consulting it regularly.

      Delete
  3. I love pumpkin cake ! The trick for me was to keep it moist enough, the flavor is so great ! I would like a big slice right now with my morning coffee :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! This looks so good that I want to lick my monitor :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks yummy!
    The one big cookbook that I bought (at FNAC) when I was in Paris (during that year that I met you), was all recipes using tasse and demie-tasse and cuillère à soupe and cuillère à café, etc.... no metric measurements given. So, I teach that and metric equivalents to my students, in our big unit on French recipes. But, there are some measurements, like, un verre, that I don't know what the equivalent would be in ounces or grammes or cl or whatever... I just don't know what size verre it would be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't really know what verre means in French cooking terms either. I'll do some research.

      Delete
    2. Compared to American recipes, French ones are mostly au pif, trl.a little of this, a little of that, and so on. In the old days, and still now, mustard used to come in glass containers, mostly all the same size, that could be used as drinking glasses when the mustard was gone. That's what we used to call verre à moutarde. I think that's where the verre measure comes from.

      Delete
    3. I was trying to write about the verre à moutarde but the tablet I was using swallowed my comment last night. I'm still not sure what the equivalent in fluid ounces that "mustard glass" would be. Some recipes also call for a verre à vin, but those two vary in size. Not having a precise measure has ever stopped me from trying a recipe, however.

      Delete
    4. I would guess that the verre measure is 125ml. That's a standard white wine glass measure in the catering trade and probably also the mustard glass measure.

      Delete
    5. But that would still be a guess. And fine — when a recipe calls for un verre it is a sign that the precise quantity of liquid you need is not very important. See my comments on the next post for different kinds of glasses...

      Delete
  6. Looks like a gorgeous cake for an autumn afternoon coffee break. If you could, please do post it all in English. Because lazy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it was originally a U.S. recipe, so I'll see if I can find it.

      Delete
  7. Cake looks wonderful. I've never heard the word potiron before. We were taught citrouille. Is potiron more current? I know languages change...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear potiron more often than citrouille. I think the two are pretty much the same thing.

      Delete
    2. They're the same family, but two different species.

      Delete
    3. See the link I posted. It says the citrouille is the jack o'lantern pumpkin, which is more fibrous. The potiron pulp is more delicate and tasty.

      Delete
    4. See the link I posted. It says the citrouille is the jack o'lantern pumpkin, which is more fibrous. The potiron pulp is more delicate and tasty.

      Delete
    5. Thanks for the link Ken. ;-)

      Delete
  8. Your cake tin is a nifty shape and the cake looks beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I baked the pumpkin cake in a silicone bundt pan -- called a moule à savarin in France. Years ago I posted about a prune cake that I baked in the same pan.

      Delete
    2. I have some silicone mini-loaf pans that I like a lot.

      Delete
  9. Hi, Ken, Please don't go to any trouble looking for the American version. I think I have made it all out, with the exception of not knowing these ingredients: ½ c. à café de muscade moulue; ½ c. à café de bicarbonate de soude. Is the latter baking soda or baking powder? Sorry to be so ill informed!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Muscade moulue is ground (powdered) nutmeg. And bicarbonate de soude is baking soda. In the recipe, levure means baking powder (not yeast).

      Delete
  10. Thanks for the notes about c. à soup et c. à café ! As I was reading la recette I thought "three cups of oil?!" Looks fabulous Ken. I dream I am having a slice with my coffee....

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?