12 September 2016

Something simple

I've been blogging a lot recently about preparing tomatoes for long-term storage, and this morning we have about 6 liters of tomato sauce bubbling away on the stove. But sometimes when nature and hard work give you bumper crops of tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplants, you just want to eat them fresh.


Besides tomato salads and caviar de courgettes (zucchini "caviar" as a dip), what about a kind of salsa fresca as a pasta sauce? Roughy chopped tomatoes, zucchini, and eggplant, just barely cooked with onion, herbs, and maybe a splash of white or rosé wine, to have with penne pasta...


This morning my project is to go cut some lacinato kale leaves and get them washed and trimmed for lunch. We'll have the kale blanched and then sautéed with garlic and spices, alongside a helping of pulled pork that I made a week or two ago and put in the freezer. The temperature this afternoon is supposed to approach 90ºF (30+ in ºC).

2 comments:

  1. Local tomatoes are not really in season here. We get them either hothouse or from northern Australia, but they are a bit expensive, so if I give you my address???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It would be better if I sent you oven-dried tomatoes, I think. I'll have to make some more.

      Delete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?