21 April 2013

And on the third night...

...I slept. I slept all through the night, I mean. The jet lag has been bad this time, coming this way. I had hardly any jet lag traveling to North Carolina. That's a pattern for me. Jet lag has always been worse coming to France than it is going to America.

Springtime blossoms around Saint-Aignan

They say it's easier to travel with the sun rather than against the sun. I guess that's what it's all about. On the way from Europe to North America, you spend an extra-long day on a plane, but when you arrive it's pretty much nighttime and time to sleep. When you come back to Europe, you spend a sleepless night (at least I do) on a plane, and when you arrive a new day is just beginning. If you give in to the urge to sleep before a normal bedtime, you're done for.

I don't think I'm allergic to the pollen from these fruit-tree blossoms...

So Thursday night and Friday night, I was up and wide awake at about one a.m., which is seven p.m. on the U.S. East Coast. It was like I'd had an afternoon nap and my body and mind were ready to be active again.

Last night, I went to bed at 10 and this morning I woke up at six. I slept straight through.

Yesterday morning, I went out and harvested my spring crop of collard greens.
I cooked them along with a pan-roasted duck breast filet for lunch.

Maybe now the allergy symptoms will go away. As soon as I got off the train in Vierzon, my nose started running and my eyes started burning. I had been worried about having allergy symptoms in North Carolina, but I had none. My sister and a friend of hers both had allergy attacks while I was there, but not me.

I wasn't worried about coming back to Saint-Aignan. I should have been. So far, the sneezing hasn't been too bad. Maybe the wind will change direction today or tomorrow and I'll begin to feel better.

10 comments:

  1. For most of us all that blossom is a joy, but for you it's a struggle - sorry to hear about that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope your allergies settle down soon.
    In the meantime, try a teaspoon of Apple Cider Vinegar in some warm water.
    Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Jean, yes, I'm feeling pretty miserable. Too bad, after a nice trip to N.C., but this too shall pass.

    Virginia, I will try it. I love cider vinegar.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you didn't get sick in NC- better to be sick close to home.

    My jetlag is like yours and always is so. Now we get up earlier (4am) on our travel day East and sleep some on the plane. Getting up early the week of travel also helps some. It's a good feeling to finally sleep through the night.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Traveling from Japan to the U.S. you arrive an hour before you left.

    -craig-

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you enjoyed your trip, and hope your allergies calm down very soon.

    Your greens look yummy :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lots of sneezing here too, epecially for Tony. Yech. May it go away quickly.

    That lunch looks terrific.

    For us. jet lag is the worst after we get home, no matter which way we're going. I think the excitement of the trip help keep us awake. However, we will arrive for our next trip to France at 7 a.m. It's going to be tough to stay awake all day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice lunch you fixed - sometimes just getting back in the routine (planning a menu and preparing it with dedication and love)oh - I forgot hunger (!), can help one get over jetlag.
    Here's hoping it has dissipated by the time you've read this.

    ReplyDelete
  9. The jet lag thing is more due to the fact that when you leave from the US, you're traveling at a time when you normally would be either in bed or getting ready for bed. When you leave from France, you're traveling at a more normal travel time.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Glad you had a great trip home and got back safely. I just read your post from the 18th about " promise land". I think it's funny that all those years my home was outside the area known as promise land and that now according to the realtors it is inside the area. It has become a very popular advertising item. The picture you took at the shore looking west towards the bridge had to have been taken at the end of my street. That little strip of beach is our slice of heaven. I grew up on the shore and my children and grandchildren still swim there. I'm sory I couldn't get home while you were there, I'd love to have seen you.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?