15 April 2011

Painting again

Despite sore necks and arms, we are painting again. Our goal now, I think, is to finish painting and decorating the stairwell and hallway before the beginning of June, which is when we started our painting projects last year. That's when the contractors left after the conversion of the old attic to living space.

Painting the walls up the stairs and down the hall

It's frustrating to paint white on white. The walls are bare plaster, or they were yesterday. We put a coat of white primer on several of them. Today, I'll be up on the wooden stair putting a coat of white paint on the wall you see in the picture above.

That wall doesn't even look like it needs painting, right? But it does. Putting white paint on it will mean trying to be very methodical so that I don't miss any patches. But it's like the tree falling in the woods, right? If I miss a patch with the paint, and nobody sees it, have I really missed it?

10 comments:

  1. It's only a problem if YOU see a bare spot...it will be like a pesky mosquito that you can't ignore.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see via FaceBook that you two have finished one coat of primer today already (it's only 6:00 a.m. here). Good for you!

    I hope your weekend is great! We're having rain, but by Sunday, I think it will be nice again.

    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. The only advantage of the 'pink' paint that dries white, at least you sort of get to see where you have missed while you still have a brush in your hand. Is it available in France or can you only get the paint that is like milk?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bon courage! Are you still thinking about painting one wall in red? Martine

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm sort of missing that wallpaper;) NOT...
    I wish I had the courage to start removing the wallpaper chez nous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Painting is pretty tedious, especially when you have acres of wall to cover and it's really difficult on a stairwell. Good luck !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm worn out just thinking about how much work that's going to be. I think I'll take a nap now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Res Ken... you've missed it! Once you spot it it will always stand out like a sore thumb... to you! No one else will notice it, of course!! But that's life....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't envy you two with the ladders on the stairs. I'm hoping you have extension rods that you screw in the paint roller? That's the way that I paint stairwells. Of course, I have to use duct tape to attach the paintbrush to paint in the seams and down the corners :-). I can't wait to see the finished project (of course it looks like a finished project now hehehehe).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tim, that is one of the beauties of white paint, though. If I notice an unpainted or uneven spot, I'll just dab some more on.

    Hi Mary, yes, we work the way you do but we'll need to get up on ladders over the stairs to get to some of the walls and ceiling.

    Lesley, I haven't seen that pink paint here but I remember it now that you mention it. Oh well...

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?