20 November 2010

P.S. re: quenelles

The next time I make quenelles, I think I'll make half a recipe. That is, cut the panade recipe in half and cut the amount of turkey or chicken in half. Halve all the ingredients (see yesterday's post.) My recipe ended up making at least three dozen (maybe more) dumplings, and that's too much unless you are feeding a big crowd.

Cooking zucchini with onions and
turkey quenelles for a gratin


Yesterday I poached some more quenelles and served them au gratin — with melted cheese — on a bed of grated zucchini/courgettes and sliced onion, which were cooked in a frying pan on top of the stove before being put in the gratin dish. I also put in about half a cup of cream with the vegetables.

The quenelles on a bed of creamy zucchini

Then you can place the dumplings on top and sprinkle on some grated cheddar or Swiss cheese. Put the dish in a hot oven and let cook until the cream is bubbling and the cheese is melted and golden brown. Delicious.

Sprinkle grated cheese over the top and brown it in the oven.

Cutting the ingredients in half also means everthing will fit in the bowl of a normal food processor, so there'd be no need to use a Kitchenaid stand mixer. Everything would be easier, especially if you start with ground meat you've bought at the supermarket.

4 comments:

  1. Have you tried freezing the
    quenelles just in plastic bags?
    Strikes me as a great convenience
    food to finish off in a yummy
    dish in the oven. Or maybe
    they're too delicate and would
    "deflate."

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks so good. I love cheese dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sheila's right. You can freeze your quenelles before poaching. Keep them separate for the freezing part and then you can put them into a plastic bag and just take out however much you need. I know that if you put frozen quenelles de brochet into cold water (broth) and cook for 25 minutes after it starts boiling, they are fine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Sheila, and Ellen. I figured the quenelles could be frozen but we ate all the ones we made -- even though it was a lot -- either with the pumpkin sauce, au gratin with the shredded zucchini, or as dumplings floating in the turkey broth we made when we made the quenelles. Next time, I'll freeze some on a cookie sheet and then put them in plastic bags in the deep freeze. I'm thinking of make chicken liver quenelles soon.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?