13 September 2007

Another trip to Paris


L'Eglise du Dôme at the Hôtel des Invalides in Paris as seen
from the Place de Breteuil. Napoleon's tomb is in this church.

My sister and a friend of hers arrive tomorrow in Paris. Their plane lands around noontime and I'll be leaving Saint-Aignan early in the morning to drive up there and meet them. It takes about four hours for me to get to Roissy/CDG by car. It's a bit of a schlep, as we say, but then I am going to Paris. Poor me, right?

A look down the Champs-Elysées from the Arc de Triomphe

My sister has never come over to France before, so we will try to see some of the highlights of Paris (where to start?) Saturday afternoon and Sunday before driving back to Saint-Aignan. We are staying in a hotel in the Latin Quarter, not far from the Place Maubert. According to the forecasts, the weather will be beautiful — bright sun and temperatures in the mid- to upper 70s. You can't ask for better than that.

The view west from the Arc de Triomphe is the "new city"
at La Défense with its own Grande Arche.

I probably won't have a chance to do any more posting before Monday. And by then I'll have so many pictures I won't know where to start. We have to come back here Sunday night because Callie has an appointment at the vet's to have her stitches taken out. The operation she had last week was planned — we decided to have her spayed. She's recovering nicely.

A very long shot of the Eglise Saint-Augustin
taken from street-level at the Arc de Triomphe,
looking up the Avenue de Friedland

Meanwhile, in this post I'm including some pictures I took last week when I was out and about in Paris with CHM for our Arc de Triomphe excursion. It was a gray morning but it wasn't raining (yet). We had a delicious lunch of sushi and sashimi in a restaurant on the rue Lecourbe that day. I took the metro over to the Gare d'Austerlitz late in the afternoon to catch my train back to Saint-Aignan. It was raining on that side of Paris by then.

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for your recent posts featuring the 7th arr! That was our quartier when we lived in Paris and we do miss it...Especially the view from our bedroom window - L'Eglise du Dôme :-)

    (I wonder, how does the Marché Saxe-Breteuil compare to the one in Saint-Aignan, in size and price?)

    Your sister is lucky to have you as her guide on her first visit to France - Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I think it's wonderful that you'll be able to be able to enjoy your sister's first impressions of Paris.

    I don't know how you'll decide what to see, but you'll be near the river and the view from there will be good. Bet she'd like to see the tour eiffel sparkling.

    Bonne journée

    ReplyDelete
  3. if it's sunny, ste chapelle would be lovely, and I know the french hate it, but the montparnasse tower view at dusk is also not bad

    glad Callie is doing well

    ReplyDelete
  4. great photos! what hotel are you staying in? i'm looking for a nice but not too expensive hotel for when my own family comes to paris and france next year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just getting back from your corner of France, where I visited with my friend Sarah. Today we visited the gardens at Chaumont sur Loire. I am dying to go back and visit the château which looked quite something.
    We had glorious weather, and it looks like the weekend is going to be great.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Destination Metz, we are staying at the Hôtel des Carmes, rue des Carmes. Another good hotel is the Hôtel du College de France, in the same neighborhood. I think the College de France is even more reasonable than the Carmes, but it was full for the dates I needed.

    Claude, hope you had a good time in Blois.

    Isabella, the market in Saint-Aignan is much smaller than the one on the Avenue de Saxe, and the prices are more reasonable. Over in Selles-sur-Cher, there is a large market, comparable to the one on the Avenue de Saxe in Paris, on Thursdays. And then there is Amboise on Sundays, which is even bigger than the Ave. de Saxe market.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?