31 January 2006

Mourning Coretta King

I am sad to learn that Coretta Scott King passed away yesterday. She was an inspirational figure. She did much to preserve her assassinated husband's legacy and continue his work.

In the early and mid-1980s, I worked as a writer and editor for the Africa press service of the U.S. Information Agency in Washington. I traveled several times to Atlanta to do reporting at the King Center for Non-Violent Social Change. Mrs. King and Martin Luther King's sister Christine Farris were both unfailingly welcoming and forthcoming with information about the center's activities and goals.

Given the Reagan administration's suspicious and negative attitudes towards King and the U.S. civil rights movement, it was surprising to me that I would be received so kindly and openly at the King Center. I worked for Reagan, after all (that's a pretty embarrassing admission on my part). If you remember, when asked in 1983, during a press conference at the time that the Martin Luther King Jr. federal holiday was being instituted by an act of Congress, whether he agreed with Senator Jesse Helms' charge that King was a communist, Reagan replied: "We'll know in about thirty-five years." He was referring to FBI surveillance tapes on King that a court had ordered sealed until 2027. There he went again! Reagan missed a great opportunity to just say no, I don't think King was a communist. It was a pointless and insulting comment by the U.S. President.

I spent a week at the King Center in 1984 or '85 and wrote an article about the center, which had only recently opened, for a U.S. government publication. The slanted editing that my USIA editors did on that text was a big factor in my decision to leave the USIA a year or so later. But the article, my original version, was eventually reprinted in a magazine published by the Smithsonian Institution, and Coretta King was asked to review it.

Around that time, I was assigned by USIA to cover a press conference Mrs. King was holding in Washington DC at the Department of Education. At the conclusion of the press event, Mrs. King stayed to answer questions informally. I went and spoke to her privately. She remembered me, at least vaguely, and she complimented me on the article, which she had just finished reading. She said she was surprised that I had been able to learn so much about the King Center in just one week. In reality, she and her sister-in-law deserved much of the credit for that, because they were so willing to spend time talking with me. Mrs. King's praise was one of the hightlights of my career as a political writer/propagandist for the U.S. government.

I read in the paper a few weeks ago that the King Center has fallen on hard times. That is also a sad development. I'm sure Mrs. King's declining health has been one of the reasons for the turmoil there.

5 comments:

  1. I've never been to the King Center, but hopefully will make it there this year. I enjoyed reading about your experience with Coretta Scott King, a remarkable woman.

    I have a friend whose father was born near Coretta's home town in Alabama. My friend says that she was so outstanding that members from the town made donations to a college fund for her. My friend was proud that her Dad helped with that fund.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope we will get a chance to go to the King Center and Ebenezer Baptist Church when I come to the U.S. next fall. I wish I could be there for Coretta King's funeral.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jerry and I had a discussion today, and these are his feelings: it's sad that Coretta turned The King Center over to the children who were more interestd in capitalizing on the father's name - not to mention seeking to profit from his speeches and writings - and allowed the center to decline or atrophy into a truly sorry state.

    When the New York Times visited the center last month to ask who was on the center's board, the man who opened the door said he had no idea. The gist of the Times story, a long one, was that the King Center has largely failed to fulfill its purpose and is now an embarrassment to the memory of Dr. King.

    - cigalechanta

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dennis, if I make the trip as planned I want to go spend some time seeing friends in California. Then I plan to go to Atlanta for a few days and on to North Carolina, where my mother and sister live.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mimi cigale,

    I read that article. Yes, it's too bad. The King Center had and still has great promise.

    When I worked at USIA, I was assigned to travel with visiting African dignitaries on many occasions. That included, for example President Samora Machel of Mozambique (an amazingly charismatic man) and the gun-toting president of Niger, among others. One of the "pilgrimage" stops for those leaders was always the King Center in Atlanta.

    Samora Machel was killed in a mysterious plane crash in South Africa in 1986 (also the year in which Coluche and Daniel Balavoine died, it occurs to me). Machel's widow Graça married Nelson Mandela in the late 1990s.

    ReplyDelete

What's on your mind? Qu'avez-vous à me dire ?